Diglipur Island is situated further north of Mayabunder, it is famous for its marine life. The island provides a rare experience of sea, sun, and fun for eco-friendly tourist. It is an expensive outdoor amusement national park specially designed for nature lovers.
How To Reach
Diglipur is 330 km by road and morning bus services are available between Port Blair to Diglipur. Ferries services are available 3-4 times in a week from Port Blair. The journey takes around 10 hours and overnight sails are also available. The tickets can be booked at Port Blair office or at the administration block by the ‘Dolphin roundabout’ in Diglipur. If you go for the most exciting options for travel then helicopters are definitely for you. The seats are limited, so you have to book tickets n advance. There is baggage limitation also.
Where To Stay
Diglipur is not a general tourist attraction, the infrastructure is developing very slowly and it is not a very easy place to stay in for tourist.There is only 2 resort in Diglipur right now. Turtle nest resort situated in Kalipur, it is a government accommodation that offers spacious and clean rooms in affordable price.The second one is Pristine beach resort also located on Kalipur Beach.Most of the tourists prefer to stay in Kalipur, so if you are planning a trip in high season then book your resort in advance.
Sightseeing And Activities
- There are so many options to actively spend your holidays in Diglipur Island. Saddle peak the highest point in the islands is nearby.
- In the middle of the Saddle Peak National Park forest, a waterfall of Kalpong river can be found and one can still drink the fresh water directly.
- The first and only Hydroelectricity Power Plant of the Andaman and Nicobar near Kalighat can be visited.
- There are mangrove-fringed creeks where adventure freaks will love the chances of spotting saltwater crocodiles in their natural habit. But do not enter this area on your own.
- Alfred Caves are the nature’s best gift to Andaman. This cave changes their shape in monsoon due to a chemical process.
What To Do
Diglipur Island have marvellous beaches offering swimming, snorkelling and sunbathing you, can trek through Saddle Peak National Park and climb to the highest peak in Andaman and Nicobar Island which is 740 feet.
( NOTE: Tourists need to take permission from Forest Department to trek through this park.)
Leave a Comment